Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Directions to Make a Basket Liner

I saw this basket at Babies R Us and thought it would be perfect for my nursery. It was brown with a neutral liner and had a monkey applique. The cost was $23 for one basket so I thought I could make one that is just as cute for much less. All I needed was a basket, fabric and an applique. I ended up buying 2 baskets on clearance for $3 each, 1 yard of fabric (which was more than enough with plenty left over for future projects) for $4 and 2 appliques for less than $2 each. Total cost of the project to make 2 baskets was about $13 which came to 6.50 per basket saving me over $16 a basket. Here are the directions:
Materials:
basket
fabric (the amount you will need will vary based on the size of your basket)
iron on applique (optional)
iron

Directions:
1. Measure the bottom and sides of your basket.
2. Cut fabric adding one inch to the amount you measured for seam allowance. My first basket measured 7inX7in on the bottom and 7"X5" on the sides. I added an extra inch to the bottom and an extra 2 inches to the sides so the liner would hang over the top. My fabric pieces were 1 at 8"X8" and 4 at 8"X7". You can add more fabric if you want more of your liner to hang over the side of your basket.


3. Sew the sides of your liner together with right sides together.

4. Continue this until all 4 sides are attached.










5. Fold over about 1/4-1/2 inch of the top and sew.








6. Fold in half and sew the two sides together keeping right sides of the fabric together so that the tops match.








7. Pin the bottom and sew removing the needles as you go.


8. Iron on applique if desired and add the liner to your basket.
Before
After






http://todayscreativeblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/features3.jpg

1 comment:

Kelly @ Here Comes the Sun said...

Just what I need to update my son's room! Found you on Creative Blog linky party.