Monday, August 1, 2011

Jungle Themed Growth Chart

I love the idea of tracking how my children grow. I wanted to make a chart so that I could always keep it. The problem with tracking on the wall is that it may be painted over or if we move I will have to leave the chart behind. I used a piece of wood and decorated it to match the nursery. When my kids grow up and no longer want the jungle theme we will still be able to keep the growth chart as it can simply be removed from the wall. I also used Velcro to attach the jungle animals so the theme can be changed later if desired.

Materials: One piece of wood, I used a piece sized 6 ft. tall X 9 in. wide, paint, 6 in. unfinished wood numbers, small painted wood animals I found at Jo Ann Fabrics in the wood craft section, tacky glue, and Velcro.

1. Primer then paint the wood
2. Paint the numbers. (You can save money by stenciling on the numbers instead of using wooden ones)
3. Measure and mark feet on chart, remember if you are not hanging the chart so that the bottom touches the floor make sure to measure how high the chart will be hung so you know where the one foot mark should go. As you can see in my picture I hung the chart a few inches off the floor and measured the one foot mark from the floor up.
4. Use tacky glue to glue numbers in place.
5. Use Velcro or tacky glue to attach animals. Stencils may also be used if you are unable to find wood figures.
6. Paint polka dots or another design for an accent color for the chart.
7. To hang the chart I screwed it into the wall and hid the screws by Velcroing the animal over the screw.


Total Cost: about $15

3 comments:

Kristi said...

This is a great idea. I should really start one for our daughter who is now two. I would love to have you link up to the Baby Week Linky on my blog!
Baby Week Linky

Kristi said...

Thanks for linking up!!

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

So cute what a great idea I love all the cool growth charts! I hope you will link up to Scrappy Saturdays linky party @ candacecreations.blogspot.com